Achieve you goals

General CDL Help Center

Write your awesome label here.
Write your awesome label here.
Write your awesome label here.

How can we help?

Welcome to our dedicated General CDL Help Center! This page is designed to provide you with comprehensive guidance and resources for all aspects of obtaining and maintaining your Commercial Driver's License (CDL), an essential credential for those aspiring to pursue a career in commercial driving. Here, you'll find everything from detailed information on the CDL application process, eligibility criteria, and the variety of CDL classes, to specific training requirements for different endorsements, tips for passing the CDL exams, and advice on maintaining your license and endorsements. Whether you're just beginning your journey into the world of commercial driving, looking to add endorsements to your CDL, or seeking to refresh your knowledge and skills, our Help Center is here to support you at every turn. Let's embark on this journey together, driving your career forward while ensuring the highest standards of safety and professionalism on the road.

Unique learning paths

Highly engaging courses

Frequently Asked Questions

*Please always refer to your State Specific CDL Manual for all Rules and Regulations pertaining to Commercial Licenses*

What is a Commercial Learner’s Permit?

A commercial learner’s permit (CLP) is issued by your state of residence. It allows a driver-trainee to practice driving a commercial vehicle on public roads with direct supervision of a valid CDL holder authorized to drive that same vehicle. This brings BTW driving experience to training programs.

Do you need to take the ELDT Theory Course prior to obtaining a Commercial Learner's Permit?

No, you are not required to take your ELDT prior to getting your CLP. However, you must complete Entry-Level Driver Training and obtain a Commercial Learner’s Permit before being able to take your CDL Skills Exam to obtain your License. 

Do I need to go through a DOT Physical?

Yes, in order to obtain your CDL License you must go through a DOT Physical.

How long is a DOT physical valid for?

The longest a DOT physical is valid for is 2 years. Certain medical factors could lower the duration of your DOT physicals validity. 

What are the benefits of getting an endorsement?

Certain commercial vehicles require further certification such as driving a school bus, city bus, or a tanker truck. If you would like to enhance your trucking career or are looking to specialize in a specific freight to drive that requires an endorsement we got you covered. 

Do you offer Behind the wheel training?

Currently we do not offer behind the wheel training but we do offer every Theory Course that is needed to obtain your CDL. 

Do I need to get a Class A or Class B License to be able to get an endorsement?

Yes. You will need to get your Class A or Class B certification along with an endorsement. The endorsement itself will not be enough. We have bundles (License type that you need to obtain + Endorsement Theory Courses) that make it easy for you to go through all the correct courses you need to be able to drive the type of truck that you want. 

What am I able to do with Class A ELDT or Class B ELDT certifications?

With a Class A ELDT and the added necessary endorsement you can drive most commercial vehicles including combination vehicles. With Class B vehicles, there are some restrictions. Class B ELDT plus the proper endorsement only allows you to drive any straight trucks such as a school bus, city bus, and dump truck. You would not be able to drive any combination vehicles (truck + trailer) with a Class B vehicle. In addition to the ELDT Theory course, you would still need to obtain your Commercial Learner’s Permit, have a valid DOT physical and pass the CDL Skills test to be able to obtain your CDL License. 

Can certain States have different standards than the ELDT Requirements?

Yes. The regulations generally do not replace or otherwise supersede State ELDT requirements that exceed these minimum Federal standards when an entry-level driver obtains training in that State. Whether additional State ELDT-related requirements apply to the applicant is determined by where they obtain their behind-the-wheel (BTW) and/or theory training for the Class A or Class B commercial driver’s license (CDL) and/or the passenger (P), school bus (S), or hazardous materials (H) endorsements.

Is it required to train in a Commercial Motor Vehicle equipped with a manual transmission?

No. The ELDT regulations do not require entry-level driver training to occur in a CMV equipped with a manual transmission. The regulations state that drivers need to train on manual transmissions only when the driver-trainee expects to operate a manual transmission CMV after obtaining a commercial driver's license (CDL) and is being trained in a vehicle equipped with a manual transmission. Some states add a manual restriction on your license if you train and take your skills exam in a vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission. Please refer to your state specific CDL Manual for further clarification. 

Can Theory and Behind the Wheel training be done through different providers?

Yes. Theory (knowledge) and Behind the wheel training may be delivered by separate training providers. Both types of training providers must be listed on the Training Provider Registry, and both would submit driver-specific training certification information (i.e., proof of training) to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Don't hesitate

Take your CDL career and expertise to the
next level!